Fall is actually a wonderful time to get in some refreshing runs, and fight the holiday pounds we all appreciate so much. Those rich, comfort foods entice us as the temperature drops and we search for a tasty way to warm our bodies.
Well, here’s a way to make room for more of those delectable pumpkin pies, sweet potato casseroles and hot chocolates topped with whipped cream. The local region offers many “trots” and races, for all types of runners wanting to fend off the pounds this season. Dig out your gloves and beenies for fall race season!
Girls on the Run 5K Fun Run
- Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 9:30am
- Truckee, CA (Truckee River View Sports Park)
- This family-friendly community event is a great fun run! All proceeds benefit Girls on the Run: a prevention program for young ladies ages 8-13. Through support in the local community, GOTR seeks to build confidence and self-esteem of women of the future.
32nd Annual Apple Hill Harvest Run
- Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 8:25am
- Camino, CA (ParaVi Winery)
- Choose from three courses: 8.5 mile, 3.5 or a .5mile Kids’ Fun Run. Dating back to 1979, the Apple Hill Harvest Run began as a way to prolong “tourist season” in Apple Hill, and now attracts more than 2,000 participants a year. All proceeds benefit local Camino schools, and a percentage goes toward the funding of two educational scholarships. Why not run around beautiful ParaVi Vineyard and benefit the education of local students?
35th Annual Donner Lake Turkey Trot
- Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 9:30am
- Truckee, CA (Donner Lake West End Beach)
- This is a pleasurable run for the whole family to get ready for ski season! Adults and young adults can register for the full 7 miles around Donner Lake while the younger ones run the Mashed Potato Mile. You can’t beat the course at Donner Lake; fairly flat in elevation on the North Shore, although there are some shorter hills to tackle on the South Shore of Donner.